What is 988?
If you’re in suicidal crisis or emotional distress or are concerned about someone who might be, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is here for you. The Lifeline offers free and confidential emotional support services for people nationwide. Individuals can call, text, or chat online with a trained counselor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All phone calls are routed to the nearest crisis center to provide localized care and support for individuals. So for you it will be the Central Valley Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
Calls are routed based on a caller’s area code, so a trained counselor familiar with the community can help provide referrals to nearby resources. Over 200 crisis call centers in the United States provide local care with the support of this vital national network.
The Lifeline is a safe space for hope and healing. Research suggests that calling the Lifeline helps deescalate a crisis and leaves the caller feeling better.
What Happens on a Call?
- Dial 988
- An automated greeting message plays and provides additional options
- The caller is connected to local trained counselor who will answer the call.
- This person will listen to you, understand how your problem is
affecting you, and provide support, in a non-judgmental caring manner to get you the help you need.
What happens when someone texts or chats?
- Individual will be prompted to fill out a short survey with details about their current situation.
- An automated wait-time message will provide details on when they will be connected to counselor.
- Once connected, the crisis counselor will chat with the individual to learn more about their needs.
Find Help. Find Hope.
If you’re not in a suicidal or emotional crisis, but still feel the need to talk, there are other resources to help you through these tough times. Here’s where to start:
- CalHope 1-833-317-HOPE or CalHope.org
- California Peer Run Warm Line 1-855-845-7415
- For general information and resources,
This information is brought to you by the Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health and the Central Valley Suicide Prevention Lifeline/Kings View.